Monday, May 6th
6:00 PM to 8:30 PM
210 East 43rd Street, NYC
Members $40 / Guests $50
Please note: you must login as a member (Member Center Sign In, above left) BEFORE you click the Register Now button. Your username is the email address that we have on file for you. If you have not yet accessed the members only page, click the Reset Password link and the system will generate a password for you, that you may change once you login. Be sure to check your junk/spam folder as the password message may end up there. If you do not login first, you will only be able to access the non-member rate.
Have you noticed some trendy terms linking the worlds of healthcare and food of late? Terms like ”veggie prescriptions” ”culinary medicine” and ”teaching kitchens”? Well the connection between nutrition and health is more than a trend. The phenomenon is growing rapidly as clinicians recognize the important role of food in supporting health and well-being. Two members of our Chapter have been pioneers of this work. Join FamilyCook Productions founder and author Dame Lynn Fredericks, along with Dame Ann Ogden Gaffney, founder of Cook for Your Life, for a deep dive into the many ways that the culinary arts are blending with healthcare.
The program will include:
- Lynn’s secrets from FamilyCook’s award-winning teaching kitchen programs utilized by such clients as Boston Medical Center to treat patients with chronic diseases.
- Hands-on opportunity to co-create examples of FamilyCook’s most in-demand and delectable recipes.
- Insight from Dame Ann Ogden Gaffney’s innovative NIH supported Cook for Your Life website and healthy cooking programming, designed to teach cancer patients healthy eating habits through basic cooking skills.
- Opportunity to ”dig in” and help prepare additional recipes from Ann’s James Beard nominated cookbook
- Operators of a third style of teaching kitchen - Columbia Presbyterian's program for medical students - present an overviw of how they prepare meals for clientele of all ages to support healthy outcomes.
- Operators of a third style of teaching kitchen—Columbia Presbyterian’s program for medical students—present an overview of how they prepare meals for clientele of all ages to support healthy outcomes.
- Q&A session—moderated by culinary nutritionist, Dame Stefanie Sacks, so you can ask the experts while enjoying the delicious and healthy fruits of shared labor.
Raffle tickets available—$5 for one; three for $10—for chance to win OXO Kitchen Prep Kit (2 sets): 3 Blade Hand-Held Spiralizer * Herb and Kale Stripping Comb * V-Blade Mandoline Slicer * 3 Piece All Purpose Dispenser Set * 3 Piece Reusable Lid Set * Greensaver Produce Keeper * Complete Grate & Slice Set * 2 Piece Cutting Board Set * 3 Piece Prep Peeler Set with Assorted Blades. $200 Value.
Program Chair: Dame Nancy Jessup, email@example.com
Wines courtesy of Dame Rachel Martin. Many thanks to Oxo for raffle prizes.
A portion of the proceeds will benefit the LDNY Scholarship Fund
www.ldny.org / firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow @LesDamesNY on